Friday, August 29, 2008

Our Honeymoon in the Mediterranean Pt 1


A few months ago, the wife and I spent some time over in the Mediterranean. It was our delayed honeymoon, and well worth the wait. I will try to stay on topic with the food, but everything was just so amazing, forgive me if I digress.

We started in Capri. Drove down the Amalfi Coast, visited Pompeii, and ate lunch at some rooftop terrace restaurant in Sorrento. It was OK. Nothing really exciting. Every little shop sold Limóncello, but we didn’t actually drink any there.

Next stop was Dubrovnik, Croatia. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this country. The port that we docked in was 10km from Bosnia. The countryside was beautiful and the old walled city was something out of a history book. We drove to a country home in Konavale where we ate lunch at a local family’s farmhouse. The meal started off with the 4th & 5th generations greeting us with home grown dates and schlivovitz (their version of brandy). It was “grape flavored”, but felt more like kerosene going down.

We were served lunch family style. The family came around to the long wooden tables we were seated and dropped off baskets of homemade bread, decanters of homemade wine, and bowls of fresh salad and potatoes. The potatoes were reminiscent of what we call “German potato salad”. They were boiled, chilled, and then lightly dressed with vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. The lettuce was prepared similarly. However, the sausage was amazing. I’m not the biggest sausage fan in the world, and I know it doesn’t look like much in the picture, but these little links of savory meat started to disappear off my plate before I even remembered to take a picture. I had to borrow one of the wife’s for this shot. Of course, during this time we had killed off three or four decanters of wine and I’m pretty sure one of the hosts called us alcoholics in their native tongue.

No comments:

webcounter